Frequently asked questions
Correct candle care can prolong the life of your candle, ensure an even burn and strong scent throw.
Our top 3 tips to follow are:
- When burning your soy candle for the first time allow 3-4 hours to ensure that the wax pool reaches the edge of the container.
- Always trim your wick to 1/4″ before lighting your candle and after each burn.
- Always ensure there is at least 1cm of wax remaining at the end of your candle and extinguish if too close to the edge of the container.
More information on how to care for your candles-
When burning your soy candle for the first time, it is important to allow the candle to burn for 2 1/2- 4 hours. Soy wax has a “memory” and helps to avoid the candle from “tunneling” down the center and reduce burn time. By allowing the candle to burn completely to the edge of the container on its first burn (and subsequent burns), you will achieve a longer burn and stronger scent throw.
Always trim your wick to 6mm before lighting your candle and burn your candle on a level, heat resistant surface. If the wick begins to have a large flame, starts flickering constantly, or if the wick becomes larger than 1/4″ extinguish the flame completely, allow to cool and re-trim the wick before burning again. Always keep the wick centered, this is best done after the candle has been extinguished and the wax is still soft.
If a ‘mushroom’ appears at the top of the wick, extinguish it, allow to cool and trim the wick to 6mm before re-lighting your candle.
Always ensure there is at least 1cm of wax remaining at the end of your candle, burning your candle beyond this point could cause the candle to become dangerously hot.
If for some reason you cannot smell the scent of the candle you are burning, leave the room or house for 10 minutes (10+) and let your senses readjust. When you return you should be able to smell the fragrance.
Our Soy Wax Melts do not evaporate. After the scent diminishes, simply discard the hardened melt or pour the soy wax into a lined bin. Soy wax is bio-degradable; however you should not pour wax directly down your sink drain as it may clog.
Due to Soy wax being bio-degradable, it cleans up with hot soapy water.
Extinguish the flame if it becomes too close to the side of your container.
- All candles are hand-poured so variation in texture and colour of the wax may vary from candle to candle. Soy is a natural wax and can become ‘frosted’ on top over time, especially if subjected to changes in temperature. This doesn’t affect the performance of the candle.
- Item colors may be different in person based on each shoppers’ computer screen.
Which areas fall into 'Local Delivery'.
We deliver within 20km of BALLARAT Victoria Monday – Saturday. This includes Buninyong, Miners Rest, Enfield, Smythesdale and any area within 20km of Ballarat Central. We also delivery to Ballarat Base Hospital and St John Of God Hospital (Ballarat).
Order by 10am for same day Hamper delivery, Please note customised products require extra lead time (up to 1 week), you will be notified of an ETA upon placing your order.
Orders may be left in a safe place at the premises for contactless delivery.
Orders outside of our local delivery area will be shipped using Australia Post or Sendle.
What time will my local order be delivered?
Local deliveries usually take place between 1 and 5pm Daily. You will receive an email notification when your order is ‘Out For Delivery’.
Can I ask for my package to be delivered on a certain day?
For local deliveries within 20km of Ballarat, Yes. Use the Date selector at checkout to select your preferred delivery day. Orders outside of the Local Delivery Area will be shipped via an external service, therefore we cannot guarantee delivery dates in this instance.
What is your Refund Policy?
You may return an item within 30 days of delivery for a full refund, you will be required to cover your own return shipping costs. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately, we can’t offer you a refund or exchange unless the item is faulty.
To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in the same condition that you received it (unless faulty). It must also be in the original packaging.
There is no exchange or refund on Custom Printed items for change of mind.
Custom Printed Items (unless deemed to have a major fault)
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.
There are certain situations where only partial refunds are granted (if applicable)
Any item not in its original condition, is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error
Any item that is returned more than 30 days after delivery
Refunds (if applicable)
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.
Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again.
Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted.
Next, contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted.
If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us at [email protected]
Exchanges (if applicable)
Products (with the exception of Custom Candles) can be exchanged with proof of purchase if returned in original condition. We will also replace items if they are defective or damaged. If you need to exchange it for the same item, send us an email at in[email protected] and we will advise of the return address.
If the item was marked as a gift when purchased and shipped directly to you, you’ll receive a gift credit for the value of your return. Once the returned item is received, a gift certificate will be mailed to you.
If the item wasn’t marked as a gift when purchased, or the gift giver had the order shipped to themselves to give to you later, we will send a refund to the gift giver and he will find out about your return.
P.O Box 53 Sebastopol 3356
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item (unless faulty).
Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you may vary.
If you are shipping an item over $75, you should consider using a track-able shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We cannot guarantee that we will receive your returned item.
Mia & Talbot is committed to providing quality services to you and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal Information.
What is Personal Information and why do we collect it?
Personal Information is information or an opinion that identifies an individual. Examples of Personal Information we collect include: names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers.
This Personal Information is obtained in many ways including;
– correspondence by telephone,by email and information you input via our website miaandtalbot.com.au.
– “Cookies” – data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
– “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
– “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Additionally, when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers PayPal information), email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information”.
How do we use your personal Information?
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfill any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
– Communicate with you;
– Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
– When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
We collect your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you. You may unsubscribe from our mailing/marketing lists at any time by contacting us in writing at [email protected].
We will still need to send you essential information, such as invoices and accounts.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information in the following ways
- We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above. For example, we use WordPress to power our online store–you can read more about how WordPress uses your Personal Information here: https://automattic.com/privacy/. We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site — you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- debt recovery agencies;
- your representatives or legal advisors;
- our representatives, legal advisors or other professional advisors;
- law enforcement or government bodies;
As described above, we may use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
- You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
– Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
– Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
– Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
- Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information. However, most of the Personal Information is or will be stored in client files which will be kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Access to your Personal Information
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
Mia & Talbot will not charge any fee for your access request.
In order to protect your Personal Information we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is an important to us that your Personal Information is up to date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.
This Policy may change from time to time and is available on our website.